From The Studio

Keys N Krates turntablist Jr. Flo talks upcoming performance in Syracuse

Courtesy of Keys N Krates

Keys N Krates members Adam Tune, David Matisse and Jr. Flo will perform in Syracuse this weekend.

Keys N Krates, an electronic music trio, is testing out a new sound when they take their Cura Tour to The Westcott Theater on Jan. 25.

The Toronto-based group began in 2008 and has since produced hits like “Dum Dee Dum” and “Save Me” featuring Katy B. What started as a cover band composed of drummer Adam Tune, turntablist Jr. Flo and keyboardist David Matisse grew into a successful producing group, playing at numerous music festivals.

Jr. Flo called the band’s current music “soul-based electronic.”

“We’re trying to sway the music direction,” Jr. Flo said. “We’re going back to hip-hop with the tools we have obtained as music producers.”

Keys N Krates’ tour ‘Cura’ is named after its upcoming debut album. After years of releasing various singles and EP’s, the group composed an album that’s representative of where they’re at now, Jr. Flo said. It’s exciting and different, he said, and he hopes Keys N Krates fans like it.

The turntablist said there’s a high demand for excitement, inspiring the group to take elements of what an electronic festival feels like and translate it into soulful music that connects with listeners. It does this both through music streaming platforms with its sound, as well as on tour with its performances.

“We want the show to have a certain vibe and experience, so we’re trying to channel emotions and create a good wave and ride,” Jr. Flo said.

Their most recent single releases are “Glitter” featuring Ambré Perkins, “Flute Loop” featuring Ouici, and “Do What U Do,” each giving listeners a taste of what the new album could possibly sound like.

“For the first time ever, we’re making stuff that we really want to make,” Jr. Flo said. “We weren’t as excited about the harder bass music scene and wanted to go back to making beats that we really liked and got excited about.”

To him, ‘Cura’ represents the type of music the trio is passionate about making, describing it as fun, energetic and entrancing.

“It’s all about figuring out where you want to go and what you want to do,” the turntablist said about the group’s music-making process. “You want to be able to make what you want to make and if you can get to that point, then you’re in a good spot.”

Jr. Flo also hinted at the set list, saying the group would be playing its

“We want people to come see us and walk away with an experience and an impression of a show that’s different than any that they have been to before,” he said.