Thirsty Thursday

Forget piña coladas, these spiked smoothies are the way to go

Aline Peres Martins | Staff Writer

A spiked smoothie is a good choice for those who want to avoid the high calorie count of other fruity drinks like piña coladas.

We’re less than one month away from the end of the semester. This means we are also less than one month away from having the freedom to lounge on the beach or hang out by the pool all day.

The prospect of summer conjures up images of strawberry daiquiris, margaritas, dirty monkeys and piña coladas — blended, tropical fruit drinks to cool down with by the water. But for those looking to keep up a healthy lifestyle there’s a problem.

These drinks are typically high in calories and added sugar. For instance, just one piña colada cocktail packs 245 calories and 32 grams of sugar. Considering the recommended daily limit on sugar is 100-150 grams, just three piña coladas will almost put you over the edge.

So, here’s a solution. Try the secret smoothie, the smoothie with a spike.

Glancing through any fitness influencer’s Instagram account, it is immediately clear that smoothies are all the rage in the fitness community. They’re vibrant and often decorated with chia seeds, kale, cacao nibs, flax seeds, goji berries and colorful fruits to show they’re super healthy.

With the secret smoothie, you can convince everyone on Instagram that you, too, are a chia-loving, superfood-eating fitness guru.

No one needs to know that there is rum or tequila hidden beneath the layer of flax seeds on top. This is simply a way to get some vitamins from fruit, protein from yogurt and also get the same effect of a cool piña colada on a hot summer day.

And while you’re at it, be sure to get your camera ready to get a perfect Instagram shot, convincing the world that you are on your health grind.

Here’s how to concoct your own Berry Secret Smoothie. Start with 1 cup of frozen mixed berries — raspberries, blueberries and strawberries — and thrown in a banana as well. Drizzle in one tablespoon of honey, or however much your heart desires. Next is a teaspoon squirt of lemon zest and a half cup of grapefruit juice. Dump a cup of vanilla yogurt, and then it’s finally time for the secret part — one or two ounces of white rum. Drop all of this into a blender and let it do its thing until smooth.

Lastly, to earn that Instagram approval, top it off with one teaspoon of ground flax seeds, as well as one teaspoon of chia seeds and two grapefruit slices for garnish.