Speakers

‘The Mis-Adventures of Awkward Black Girl’ creator Issa Rae to speak at Syracuse University

Kiran Ramsey | Digital Design Editor

Issa Rae will speak at Goldstein Auditorium inside the Schine Student Center on March 31.

Actress Issa Rae will speak at Syracuse University this month, University Union announced Sunday evening.

Rae, who is best known for creating the YouTube series “The Mis-Adventures of Awkward Black Girl,” will speak at Goldstein Auditorium on March 31 at 8 p.m., according to a UU press release. Zuri Hall, a correspondent for E! News, will moderate the event for Rae.

Tickets for the show go on sale Monday at 9 a.m. at the Schine Box Office or at the Syracuse University Box Office online. Tickets are $5 at Schine and $10 online, and students must have a valid SU or SUNY-ESF ID to purchase them, according to the release.

In addition to creating “The Mis-Adventures of Awkward Black Girl,” Rae created and starred in the HBO series “Insecure”, which was based off the YouTube series. “Insecure” premiered in October 2016 and was later renewed for a second season, which Rae announced will premier in July.

For her performance in “Insecure”, Rae was nominated for Best Actress in a Musical or Comedy TV Series at the 2017 Golden Globes.

Hall, the moderator for Rae’s speech, works currently as an on-air correspondent for E! News. Hall is a part of E!’s “Live from the Red Carpet” production and covers red carpet events at several award shows: the Emmys, Grammy’s, Golden Globes and Academy Awards.