Track And Field

Syracuse turns in several strong results while splitting up for 4 weekend competitions

Syracuse split up again to attend four different events this past weekend — the Auburn War Eagle Invitational, the Virginia Challenge, Cornell’s Upstate Challenge and Princeton’s Larry Ellis Invitational

Freddie Crittenden led the way for the Orange at the Auburn War Eagle Invitational, posting a personal-best time of 13.48 seconds to win the 110-meter hurdles. It marks the third-best time nationwide this season and is just 0.04 seconds off Jarret Eaton’s school record set in 2012.

Syracuse showcased its depth in the 110-meter hurdles as David Gilstrap (14.16) and Richard Floyd (14.24) finished sixth and seventh, respectively, in the finals.

The Orange produced two top-10 finishes in the 400-meters. Kadejhia Sellers finished third at 54.49 seconds and Brittany Belo crossed the line in seventh at 55.73 seconds. In the 100-meter dash, Shaina Harrison took seventh with a time of 11.79 seconds.

Tia Thevenin continued Syracuse’s run of top-10 performances at Auburn by placing third in the 100-meter hurdles at 13.57 seconds. Jabari Butler leaped to 2.06 meters in the high jump to finish ninth. Winston Lee took 12th in the 100-meter dash with a time of 10.56 seconds.

At the Virginia Challenge, Justyn Knight finished second in the 1,500 meters with a time of 3:39.23, which broke the school record he set last year. Knight was edged out by defending NCAA indoor mile champion Henry Wynne from UVA. Adam Palamar finished fifth in the event with a time of 3:40.49 seconds.

Colin Bennie took fourth in the 5k with a time of 13:45.77, his personal best in the outdoor event. Dan Lennon crossed the line in 22nd at 14:23.95.

Syracuse sent a combination of sprinters, jumpers, and distance runners to the Cornell Upstate Challenge.

Four members of the Orange competed in the 400-meters. Shasche Allen topped the group in second at 1:01.24. Natalie Zazzara, Maya Perry and Nia Gibson were close behind, finishing fifth, ninth and 11th, respectively. Emily Nist finished 13th in the 5k at 4:57.18.

Syracuse also sent a trio of distance runners to Princeton’s Larry Ellis Invitational, where Margo Malone managed a 10th-place performance in the 1500-meters with a time of 4:29.12.

In addition, three SU runners finished in the top 15 in the 5k. Maura Linde led the way for the Orange, finishing seventh at 16:59.54. Rebecca Skodis (17:06.54) and Mary Malone (17:18.09) finished ninth and 14th, respectively.

Next weekend, in what will be its final weekend of racing before the Atlantic Coast Conference outdoor championships, the Orange will split up at the Penn Relays, the Payton Jordan Invitational and the Big Red Invitational.